The Palace of Monte di Pietà, according with the founding act of the Foundation, is made available by the Cassa di Risparmio of Verona, Vicenza, Belluno and Ancona as the seat of the Foundation, is a building loaded with history. The existence of the palace is documented since the 1500’s, but the frescoes and the writings that came to light during the restoration work indicate that the building and the paintings that can still be admired are at least at least a century.
At the founding of the Foundation, the building was under renovation and several years were needed and the work of valued artisans to make it usable, despite the limitations of use imposed by ancient structures.
Rhe “Monte Pietà di Belluno” is located on the left side of Piazzetta del Mercato in Belluno, behind the fountain with the statue of San Lucano, protector of Belluno and ancient saint of Val Serpentina, as it was called the Valle del Piave. It includes, on the ground floor, a small church above which are the most important halls of the Foundation, and on the left the House Arlotti (now the home of the Historical Institute of Resistance) with a series of rooms, staircases, stairs and stairs that Different times have been done with access and disengagement functions for Mount. Some use the term “Monte dei Pegni”, but it does not find any evidence in the documents. The building, or rather the buildings in question, was the home of Monte di Pietà, with a pledge loan function, but the term “Monte dei Pegni” is not used, which is evidently a recent synthesis.
The “Monti di Pietà” originate in central-northern Italy from the second half of 1400, for assistance, under the influence of Franciscan preaching and to counter Jewish wear.
The institute of Monte di Pietà di Belluno was founded in December 1502, with its headquarters at the Confraternity of S. Maria dei Battuti, and then in a special place, starting in 1531, in Piazza del Mercato. As you can read in the Chronicle Montis Pietatis, there were already premises used for the charm of the pawns in the square, the center of the city’s economic activities, but archival sources did not specify what they were. It is probable that it would be the same house on which the current Renaissance palace was built, that is, the house of noble ser Geronimo Sommariva, who would donate it together with the shop in 1511 at Sancto Monte, according to the testimony of the notary Pier Paolo Delaito.
All this is written in the back of the Delaito Ex-Vote Table of Christ’s in Pietà by Giovanni Da Mel, now in the civic museum of Belluno.
On 10 April 1531, however, the governors of Monte, the people elected by the popular people of the city, decided to equip this important institution of a suitable place to the prestige it had in the meantime acquired primarily among the people, Adapt and fabricate the house in the sun, strong in faces cum its doors and windows, and with the erection of a bell tower with the announcement of the charm of the pawns. And in that year there was an increase of five to ten lire. The original building on two floors was entrusted to Master Bartolomeo Munaro of the Val de Lugan and corresponded to the present central span, where the Church of the Blessed Virgin of Health was built, built only in 1628, in whose sacristy, before restoration, was visible a Connecting staircase to the upper floor: the façade above the face had to be of the same height as the neighboring house of ser Jacopo Arloto (left for the lookout) and equipped with a marching lion with the coat of arms of the Gradenigo and that of the Monte (A Piety, by the way).